Port Authority of NSW - OPT Southern Mooring Point
Location: Overseas Passenger Terminal, Circular Quay
Client: Port Authority of NSW
Description: Civilcraft was engaged by the Port Authority of NSW to undertake the construction of a new mooring point at the southern end of the Overseas Passenger Terminal at Circular Quay. The new mooring point is required for the safe berthing of the next generation of cruise ships including the Ovation of the Seas which arrived in December, 2016. The Ovation of the Seas, with a capacity of 4,905 passengers and weighing in at 170,000 gross tonnes is the largest cruise ship to sail into Sydney. Some of the challenges faced on this project included the high-profile locations, pedestrian management, tight workings space and innovative construction methodologies implemented to satisfy the strict quality requirements imposed by the client.
Summary of works:
- Installation of four 864mm piles to a depth of 21.3m into bedrock
- Excavation and construction of a 5.0m x 4.5m x 1.5m (L x W x D) reinforced concrete pile cap.
- Installation of two 150 tonne bollards
- Installation new pedestrian fence
- Reconstruction of pedestrian concourse to existing condition